Shawnee United Methodist Church is the result of a merger of as many as five groups.
The earliest record of a Methodist church is what we know as Shawnee is from 1840 when a young Methodist Episcopal missionary from Kentucky named Learner Stateler organized a group of Shawnee Indians to build a log church building at what is now 59th and Bluejacket Streets. In 1845, the national Methodist Episcopal Church split on the issue of slavery, and the Indian church in Shawnee, which was sponsored by the Mission Conference, went with the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Three years later, Rev. Abraham Still was appointed by the Methodist Episcopal Church to work with the Shawnee Indians; thus, there were two congregations of Indian Methodists.
In 1856, the community was incorporated as Gum Springs, and white settlers began to arrive in numbers. They formed two more congregations, with the southern group meeting in the Indian log church building. In 1859, a decision was made by the southern group to build a new church building, and in 1860, a small red brick building was completed at what is now 59th and Barton Streets.